|This article was taken from History of Bond and Montgomery county by Robert R. Bliss in 1882..
The first school in the village of Irving was taught by a Mr. Frink, in the old Hopewell meeting - house, which had been moved to town in the latter part of the year 1856. The next school was taught by J. W. King. John Franklin and George Baker were among the first teachers in the village. The little frame building was the only school-house in the town for several years. When there were more pupils than it could accommodate, rooms in private dwelling houses were fitted up for the surplus scholars. In the year 1866, the present school building was erected at a cost of $2,000. This house is of brick, two stories high and contains two large-sized school rooms. These rooms are not sufficiently large to accommodate all the pupils of the schools, and the propriety of enlarging the building is being discussed. The schools are at present under the superintendency of Prof. M. TG. Miller, assisted by W. C. Hobson, Miss Means and Miss Hogshett.
The picture of that first brick school-house is shown below.