|The Presbyterians were prominent among the pioneer churches, and had a flourishing organization at a very early day. This church was organized by Rev. Joel Knight, who was the only preacher for a number of years. The old organization was maintained for a considerable length of time, but owing to deaths, removals and other causes, it was finally abandoned.
In the year 1866, the society known as the United Congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organizaed in the town of Irving with about fifty members. The first pastor was Rev. L. P. Deatheridge, a man of brilliant attainments and wonderful eloquence. He did as much if not more than any other man toward establishing the church upon the firm footing that it at present maintains.
He was succeeded by Rev. Joel Knight, one of the pioneer preachers of the county, and founder of the congregation of 1830. He was followed by Rev. Mr. Barber, who labored with the congregation for several years. Revs. W. J. McDavid and T. W. McDavid have also preached for the church at stated intervals. The congregation worshiped for three years in the Lutheran Church of Irving. The house in which the church now worships was built in the year 1869, at a cost of $5,000. It is a brick building and contains the largest audience room in the township. A Sunday school is maintained in connection with the church, with an average attendance of 100 scholars.
(Source-History of Bond and Montgomery Counties by Robert R. Bliss)
|The Second Church Building Below|