|History of the Irving Bank|
|Picture Taken 1907|
|"And Speaking about Irving, there was also an item about the new bank". Irving will soon have a bank, something she has needed for many years. The new enterprise will be a private concern and the stockholders reside in Springfield and in Irving. The Irving stockholders are J.M. Kelley, president; J.P. Price, Marshall Winn, Wm. Berry and Frank Price. M.M Carter of Springfiled, andother stockholder, will act as cashier. The bank Stockholders are all the best citizens Irving possesses and the new enterprise will be a success. A new building will be erected fro the bank on the corner lot formerly occupied by the old Masonic Hall. It will be 25x50 feet, one story, with corner entrance. The front and side of the building will be of pressed brick and when finished will be the finest building in Irving."
Week of August 18, 1899. "In other business news, the organizers of the Irving Bank were in Edwardsville where they purchased the fixtures for their new bank from the former Madison County State Bank. Included were counters, shelving, lockers, and desks of solid oak, plate glass, marble, and Venetian iron work., two vaults and two modern safes."
The Hillsboro Journal tells us in their article dated Thursday, February 20, 1930 that:
IRVING BANK STRONG WAS FOUNDED IN 1900
ALL DIRECTORS ARE SUBSTANTIAL BUSINESS MEN
The Irving bank, a member of the Federal Reserve System has been a national bank since 1907. Opened in 1900 as Kelly, Carter and Company, the financial institution changed over seven years later to the Irving National Bank with Milton Berry as cashier. Mr. Berry, who is now with relatives in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, served in that capacity until 1927.
The present cashier, Ross Jarrett began as an assistant in 1918 and was promoted to his present position in 1927. His daughter Miss June Jarrett, a senior in the Irving High School is a capable assistant during her spare time from school. Ray Harkey, now of Webster Groves, Mo., was at one time an assistant in the bank. Clarence Neisler, now a banker in Colorado was also assiciated witht the Irving Bank, leaving in 1918 for similar work in Colorado.
Officers and directors of the bank are as follows: President, Frank Fowler, Vice President, A.H. Kelly, Cashier, Ross Jarrett, Directors: Walter V. Berry, John R. Keely, W.H. Meyers, W.H. Paggett and J.D. Weller.
The Bank functioned for about 31 years but closed their doors on March 31, 1931 and was taken over by the Hillboro National Bank with no loss to the depositors.
The next occupant of the Irving Bank building was in 1936 when Frank Ware and Macon Toberman opened the Irving Grain Company and operated the business from the old bank building.
In 1944, Drexel Neisler purchased the Irving Grain Company and changed the name to Neisler Feed and Grain Company. In 1958, Mr. Neisler's son-in-law, Bradley Caulk went into partnership with him. Besides selling feed and grain, they operated a trucking service.
At a later date Mr. Neisler and Mr. Caulk sold the Feed & Grain business to Farm Service Montgomery Service Company and in 1998 FS merged with M&M Service Company.
On June 3, 1999 the Irving Bank building was deeded to the Village of Irving for the purposes of establishing the Irving Area Historical Museum by M&M Service Company.
|The Montgomery County News on Tuesday, July 27, 1999 in their Back Through The Years "Week of July 28, 1899" Printed from thier files|